POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : merge : merge Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:18:45 EDT (-0400)
  merge
From: Barron Gillon
Date: 30 Sep 2003 04:19:37
Message: <3f793c99$1@news.povray.org>
Out of curiosity: does anyone know the time complexity of merge?  Is it O(n)
or O(n^2)?  Because I was just rendering a scene with 20,000 spheres, and it
takes 13 seconds to parse with no merge (there's a bunch of other stuff
going on), but when I tried putting them all in a merge object, well....  I
cut it off after 17 minutes.  I don't know how long it would take to finish,
but since it is an animation, and that is only one frame, and the animation
will be much more complex soon, this time is simply not acceptable.  If the
time is O(n^2), would it be any faster to merge them in batches, and then
merge the batches?  Or will I just have to deal with not being able to merge
them?
Thanks!

Barron Gillon